Visit My Other Web Page:

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

July 13, 2011 Wednesday Dinner Time

Had a good morning, not so good late afternoon.

This morning I was up at 5 AM to let Vito out. The minute I hear him stirring in his cage I wake up. In fact I was up more times than not during the night just watching him. Took him back to bed for an hour and got back up at 6 AM. All the dogs actually ate their breakfast, including Vito. Gave Vito his shot with his food. I threw up again shortly after feeding the dogs. Just bile and spit but this is still a problem twice a week. We did have taco's for dinner last night so maybe I need to keep track of what I eat the night before this happens. Vito was doing so well I decided to shower and headed out the door by 9 AM to go to McDonalds to get some food and then Home Depot to buy some rope lights for the dog ramp outside. The vet said it might help on the ramp if he can see any light at all. Bought the 18 foot rope light and a mat for the dining room. Came home and installed the rope light on the ramp for Vito and connected the electric to it with a long extension cord. I then ordered a new water filter for the refrigerator since the light is red and it needs a new filter. I have a hard time with having to buy filters and stuff for the new appliances. You would think they would need less money spent on them rather than more. Did a little cleaning around the house and spent the afternoon on the couch listening to music with Vito by my side. The day had been going so well. I then decided to vacuum so I picked up Vito and set him in a chair that has narrow doggie stairs up to it. As I turned my back I watched him nose dive right off the chair to the floor missing the dog steps completely. I rushed to his side and he seemed fine. It was quite a fall on his neck and back and I was surprised he was OK. Jeez, almost had a heart attack. I then thought to put him in the master bedroom and close the gate while I vacuumed but he was not happy with that idea and when I opened the gate he jumped up the two steps that go down to the bedroom thinking there were three steps. He belly flopped onto the floor. Rushed to his side again. Guess trying to help by picking him up and moving him is not a good idea because then he doesn't know where he is even with me talking to him the entire time telling him where he is. I guess the lesson is to let him get around on his own and guide him to areas and help in any way with my voice. After seeing the last two falls Vito made I decided to take the dog steps from the spare bedroom that is up against the couch for him to get up on it, and connect it to the steps in the bathroom to go up to the chair, to make it a wider step as wide as the chair itself. I hope you all got that. I then got some wood and made a long long one step for in front of the couch so if he goes up on the couch finding the old narrow stairs he won't take the chance of missing them when he jumps down from the couch. I tried several times to show him the change but he just could not understand the difference. I hope he learns without falling off it. At least now when I leave I will know the two pieces of furniture he has access to have steps across the entire front of the furniture. I guess that means a shorter fall? As you can tell this is really taking a toll on me. He is sitting on the floor now about 5 feet from me looking around. I know he is just focusing on sounds with the windows open. I also keep finding out more and more just how blind he is and how hard this is going to be on me. How the hell can I watch my baby go through this? How can I do this day after day? I feel now I can never leave the house. The neighbors must think I am crazy if they can hear me with the windows open constantly telling Vito where I am and talking to him. He is lost without me. Tony is very little help with this and just looks the other way because then the problem does not exist. He has never been good in this area but comes through when seriously needed. I am making boneless ribs for dinner with cream corn and a salad. Will spend the night on the couch with Vito watching TV. Has anyone every gone through this with a dog, cat or parent? How many times can I watch him bang into things and fall off things? Feel like I need a strong drink.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, my childhood dog got cancer when I was 21, we had him for 14 years. At the time I couldn't accept the fact that his quality of life was so bad (tumors would come through and break the skin on his back, these big things, that I would pay to have removed, but shortly after they'd just come back) so I would just deny that he needed to be put to sleep. It was really hard for me because you could tell that his brain was still functioning top notch, but his body was just giving out. His hips were bad too, so walking was not going so well, or getting up. So after the doctor told me that he would probably pass away in surgery if they tried to remove it again, I knew there was nothing that could be done other than the obvious. My step-dad and I loaded him up in the car. I was crying the whole time. I told him to go through sonic so I could get Rocky a sausage, egg and cheese toaster sandwich. He enjoyed his breakfast in about 2 seconds. Went to the vet and did it. We took him and buried him on some family land. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. In a way it is a lot like taking care of a parent. They rely on you to make the decisions that need to be made. Albeit, it's a little different. We don't put people down for going blind, but it's a lot easier to communicate to a human. I can't really say what I'd do if I was in your situation. But a lot of thought would go into it. Good luck. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi mate, I had the task of getting our 16 year old cat euthanised a few years back. He was a Russian Blue and very much a part of the household. Non of us wanted him put down, but the poor thing was suffering. His meow changed in a short time to a very croaky one, and what finally made me decide it was time was this gigantic spew he did in the kitchen. Honestly couldn't believe so much had come out of him. And he was looking for hiding places; somewhere to die I expect. It was very hard taking him to the vet, went in and was there when he got the injection. Over in seconds, no pain. Of course we were all upset afterwards, but knew it was the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete