Visit My Other Web Page:

Thursday, February 17, 2011

February 17, 2011 Thursday Morning

Life is not good in Dave's world.

Vito's doctor called around 4 PM yesterday to tell me the bad news. Vito has a bladder infection, Cushing's Disease and is Diabetic. I called Tony to tell him the news and he said something like 'I am not spending this kind of money on a dog that is going to die soon anyway so we might as well put him down now'. I paused and told him from this phone call forward to think very carefully about what he says because when he says things like he did he sounds like and asshole. I met the doctor at the office at 5 PM to pick up an antibiotic for the bladder infection and a prescription for insulin so we can begin giving Vito injections twice daily beginning tonight. We are going to hold off on treating the Cushings Disease until we get the Diabetes under control. Vito will need to spend the day at the vet in a week to monitor the Insulin after he has been getting it for a week. Was told to buy the Insulin today so we can bring Vito to the vet tonight at 5:30 PM so the vet can show Tony and I how to give him injections twice daily. So last night I called around to find out how much the Insulin cost is at various pharmacy's. Walgreen's is $50, Walmart is $25 for the same vile of Insulin. Was in no mood to eat last night so we spent the night snacking and not really eating a dinner. Went to bed around 10 PM.

This morning we were up at 3 AM when I heard Tony say 'G#d Damn It'. I knew what it was about. Vito had peed again in his sleep on the bed in two places. So at 3 AM we woke up the rest of the dogs to get them off the bed so we could again strip the bed down to the mattress to wash everything. Tried to go back to bed but I started feeling sick. Got up and the runs started. Had cold chills and felt like I might throw up. Spent the next two hours on the toilet. There is a bad flu going around Milwaukee and I guess I am getting it. Great timing hey with everything else going on right now? Either way I have to get to Walmart this morning to buy the Insulin for Vito so Tony and I can be at the vet tonight at 5:30 PM to get the first injection and show us how to do it. I did shave the hair off the back of his neck last night to prepare for this twice daily event. I also was told I now have to change the times I feed the dogs because Vito must get the Insulin shots when he eats 12 hours apart. So I guess the dogs will now get fed at 6:30 AM like usual but the dinner feeding will have to move from 5 PM to 6 PM. I am sure all the dogs will be looking at me starting tomorrow at 5 PM wondering when they are getting fed. I am very nervous about having to give Vito these Insulin injections since I hate needles and I know I will get very little help from Tony. I am told it sounds worse than it is, time will tell. When I mentioned to Tony he will need to know how to give the injections also in the event I can not he threw a fit. Jeez, sometimes I just want to give up and cry. How can I be with such a selfish man. Tomorrow morning will be my first time doing it alone, wish me luck. After I get back from Walmart this morning I plan on spending the day in a blanket on the couch watching TV since I feel worse with each hour that passes. Getting the strength to go to Walmart this morning will take everything I have, but I have to do it for Vito. I keep telling myself I am a strong man and can handle this but I find myself breaking down in tears at the thought of all this crap happening in my life right now. Sometimes it just seems too much. Tony left for work early today, I am sure to get away from all the crap happening around the house. Must be nice to be able to just run away from it all. Suppose to be in the 50s today but I do not plan on enjoying it in any way since I will be on the couch trying to get through the day feeling like hell. If anyone has given Insulin injections to their pets I would love some feed back or helpful tips. Any help is appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment