Visit My Other Web Page:

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

August 25, 2010 Wednesday Night

Got Stella to the vet this morning to find out she has a bad ear infection and a hematoma on her ear. The swelling is because of the hematoma which might be from shaking her head because of the ear infection. It could go away on it's own but will most likely need surgery and a drainage tube in the near future to fix it. Because of the likely hood of surgery and her past blood platelet problems we had to do a bunch of blood tests and get ear drops for now. Cost: $225.00.
Got her home and shortly after went to my doctor to get my latest blood results. Looks like I am getting healthier with each blood test. My Tcell count is now up to 416 and still undetectable. My percentage though stayed at 21% which should have gone up from the last blood test which was also 21%. The doctor says I should be happy with the 416 but realize that that number can fluctuate depending on how you are THAT day. Since my percent did not go up he warned me not to worry if the next blood test in January 2011 shows a lower Tcell count than 416. I just am happy to be over 400 since between 400 and 1500 is considered normal. All my other tests came back good also and the doctor is happy with my results. I did ask the doctor about the rash I get in the sun, he did not know why, my HIV+ friends all seem to have the same problem. Was surprised he was so clueless about the rash but he did say we could look at adjusting my meds or switching them. I told him since I have had such good results so far it is much easier for me to just stay out of the sun then risk messing with my HIV meds. So bottom line, Stella and I are going to live another day. Took a short power nap after I got home. Just got off the phone with my sister and mom to give them all the dog and my news. Now I wait for Tony to get home since I am not cooking and we are most likely going to a car show and having dinner out while the weather is so nice. It is in the 70s now in Milwaukee and much less humid, so nice for sleeping.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave,
    I have an 8 year old rescued female pitty and she had a hematoma on her ear a few months ago. She gets really bad ear infections and kicks her ears a lot, which is what caused the hematoma. We took her to the vet and he said that we should just keep an eye on it and that it would most likely go away on its own. It slowly got better over the course of a month or two and ended up going away completley. It left a weird little crease in her ear but other than that you would never know it had been there. I wouldnt have the vet drain it unless you are worried about how it looks. Our vet told us that 90% of the time they go away on their own. Hopes this helps, there is no reason to put her through the stress of doing the procedure (not to mention the the cost for you). take care!
    megan

    ReplyDelete